Re: [Wonder-disc] Grabbag of quick questions about Eclipse/WOLips/Webobjects

From: Guido Neitzer (list..vent-s.net)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 20:25:46 EST

    On 28.02.2008, at 17:57, Louis Demers wrote:

    Wow ... never saw such a wild mix of complaints about Wonder, WOLips,
    Eclipse itself, questions about how to do things with WebObjects
    together.

    It would be really nice, if you could group your questions the next
    time and send them to the appropriate lists!

    > 1) WOLips/Entity Modeler: When I edit a fetch specification, the
    > text field is very small so I put a carriage return after each and
    > clause to put them on different lines. After a save they are all
    > replaced by space and everything is on a long line. In fact the
    > Properties Tab is too small and does not stretch to provide larger
    > scroll area for entities.

    File a feature request.

    http://issues.objectstyle.org/jira/secure/BrowseProject.jspa?id=10001

    > 2) WOLips: Build Path dialog. When I edit a Library, If I resize the
    > window, the content does not resize, everything stays at the same
    > place and I'm stuck with just a small scrolling list.

    File a feature request.

    > 3) Wonder: ERXStyleSheet: It seems to be incapable to find
    > stylesheets that contains an hyphen like in obzerv-black.css

    Works fine here. Just tried. Are you sure it works for you for style
    sheets without a dash?

    > 4) Wonder: I use WonderEntity.java & _WonderEntity.java. I would
    > like to change _WonderEntity.java so that it inherits form my own
    > superclass instead of ERXGenericRecords. (Of course my own
    > superclass would inherit from ERXGenericRecords 8-). But I can't
    > find the files _WonderEntity.java.

    Add this to your eogen script at the bottom ("Defines" part):

    Key: EOGenericRecord
    Value: your.cool.package.GenericRecord

    > 5) WebObjects: I wish to have some graphical links inside a FORM but
    > without them submitting form values. My component works fine when I
    > use WOHyperlink but when I use WOImageButton, it shows some funky
    > behavior. The links in questions are used to navigate previous and
    > next batches of a display group.

    Use links around image. Or WOActiveImage instead of a WOImageButton
    (which, as it says, is a button, buttons submit).

    > 6) WOLips: Sometimes when editing .wo files, format, auto-completion
    > stops working. Usually closing and reopening re-enable these features,

    File a bug report.

    > 7) WOLips: Some recent email mentioned we could put //VALID next to
    > some bindings in the wod to prevent warnings from being displayed.
    > Is there some similar tag that can be used when using inline notation.

    Not that I know of.

    > 8) Eclipse/Java: Sometimes I manually format some code/data which I
    > would like to be let alone when executing subsequent format
    > commands. Is there any comment I can put in to have protect such
    > sections ?

    Eclipse feature. Not that I know of. Edit your formatter appropriately
    so that it does what you want I guess.

    > 9) Eclipse/WOLips: Every time I do a format of a .wo file, the html
    > comment get stuffed with one additional space character at the
    > beginning and at the end, causing the comment line to grow each time.

    File a bug report. Actually, Format doesn't work for me at all at the
    moment ...

    > 10) Eclipse/WOLips: same question about protecting some portions of
    > a .wo file against reformatting.

    Huah. File a feature request. But I doubt that this will get a high
    priority.

    > 11) Eclipse:WOLips: I tried to bind some key stroke like "command-
    > right arrow" to "Terminate and Relaunch" with the settings "in
    > Windows" or "in Console" but it does not seem to work.

    Eclipse?! I haven't checked. I think I tried that years ago and
    couldn't get it working.

    > 12) WOLips: In trying to get clickToOpen to work as recently
    > demonstrated by Mike, All I got were crashes saying the "WOLToolbar
    > class/component could not be found" (from memory) I checked build
    > path, I whecked that WOLips framework was in cluded, everything
    > extends ERXComponents. I finally got it to go further by adding
    > "import er.wolips.components.*;"
    > to my Page wrapper.

    So, if it works now, where is the problem? ;-) Haven't used that, so
    somebody else will have to answer that.

    > 13) WebObjects: If I want to pass a component and array of String,
    > do I have to build it in the java file and return it through a
    > binding to the component ? or is there a syntax that allows me to
    > write the array of String directly into the .wo file ( I use the
    > inline notation) ?

    I use Java for that. I seem to recall there is a way (I bet, at least
    with WOOgnl there is), but I wouldn't bet on it and I think I like it
    better to build the array in Java.

    > 14) Eclipse/WOLips: during the development cycle of running ,
    > debugging running. application instances just pile up.

    Set your run configuration to use a specific port. Then you can't
    start a new instance while one is running. So you don't kill your
    machine with hundreds of running instances.

    Other tip: I always start in Debug mode, not in Run. Then when I
    change things that can't be "hot-fixed" Eclipse shows a dialog whether
    to terminate or restart the application or just to ignore it.

    > In wrestling with some of these questions, I was wishing for just a
    > glimpse over the shoulder of somebody like mike, chuck ... as they
    > work to get an idea of their habits and usage patterns. 8-)

    While I'm certainly not Mike or Chuck or Anjo, there are still some
    spaces open in the class in Germany ... I bet there is some useful
    stuff to see there. Not sure though ... ;-)

    cug

    --
    Real-World WebObjects class at the Big Nerd Ranch
    March 2008, Frankfurt, Germany