Re: [Wonder-disc] Grabbag of quick questions about Eclipse/WOLips/Webobjects

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Thu Feb 28 2008 - 20:41:04 EST

    >> 4) Wonder: I use WonderEntity.java & _WonderEntity.java. I would
    >> like to change _WonderEntity.java so that it inherits form my own
    >> superclass instead of ERXGenericRecords. (Of course my own
    >> superclass would inherit from ERXGenericRecords 8-). But I can't
    >> find the files _WonderEntity.java.
    >
    > Add this to your eogen script at the bottom ("Defines" part):
    >
    > Key: EOGenericRecord
    > Value: your.cool.package.GenericRecord
    What Guido said, but also, WonderEntity.java and _WonderEntity.java
    are actually inside of the org.objectstyle.wolips.eogenerator.core
    plugin jar file. I also periodically put up snapshots of the ones
    that are bundled inside wolips on the m Dimension build server:

    http://webobjects.mdimension.com/wolips/EOGenerator/Velocity%20EOGenerator%20Templates/

    I think the wiki has a tutorial about making custom ones.

    >> 7) WOLips: Some recent email mentioned we could put //VALID next to
    >> some bindings in the wod to prevent warnings from being displayed.
    >> Is there some similar tag that can be used when using inline
    >> notation.
    >
    > Not that I know of.
    Actually, yes -- But ONLY if you use Wonder's inline bindings (this
    does not with with WO 5.4). You can put a // VALID at the end of your
    binding value and it will be considered valid. For instance;

    <wo:str value = "$someBrokenBinding // VALID"/>

    >> 8) Eclipse/Java: Sometimes I manually format some code/data which I
    >> would like to be let alone when executing subsequent format
    >> commands. Is there any comment I can put in to have protect such
    >> sections ?
    >
    > Eclipse feature. Not that I know of. Edit your formatter
    > appropriately so that it does what you want I guess.
    Yeah I'm not aware of anything for this either. The formatter rules
    are VERY configurable, though, so usually you can get what you want.

    >> 9) Eclipse/WOLips: Every time I do a format of a .wo file, the html
    >> comment get stuffed with one additional space character at the
    >> beginning and at the end, causing the comment line to grow each time.
    >
    > File a bug report. Actually, Format doesn't work for me at all at
    > the moment ...
    Yeah .. my bad .. fix coming momentarily.

    >> 10) Eclipse/WOLips: same question about protecting some portions of
    >> a .wo file against reformatting.
    >
    > Huah. File a feature request. But I doubt that this will get a high
    > priority.
    It will get near zero priority :) But if you want to submit a patch,
    even better ... No lie, formatting is some of the hardest code I've
    worked on in WOLips. Nobody would ever imagine. It's all crazy
    hueristics to try to do what most people think is "right" when it
    comes to laying out HTML.

    >> 12) WOLips: In trying to get clickToOpen to work as recently
    >> demonstrated by Mike, All I got were crashes saying the "WOLToolbar
    >> class/component could not be found" (from memory) I checked build
    >> path, I whecked that WOLips framework was in cluded, everything
    >> extends ERXComponents. I finally got it to go further by adding
    >> "import er.wolips.components.*;"
    >> to my Page wrapper.
    >
    > So, if it works now, where is the problem? ;-) Haven't used that, so
    > somebody else will have to answer that.
    That import would 100% not have any effect on whatever your problem
    was. That's a red herring. I have no idea what your problem was, but
    I can tell you that isn't it. You haven't used it Guido? That's my
    crowning lifetime achievement :)

    >> 13) WebObjects: If I want to pass a component and array of String,
    >> do I have to build it in the java file and return it through a
    >> binding to the component ? or is there a syntax that allows me to
    >> write the array of String directly into the .wo file ( I use the
    >> inline notation) ?
    >
    > I use Java for that. I seem to recall there is a way (I bet, at
    > least with WOOgnl there is), but I wouldn't bet on it and I think I
    > like it better to build the array in Java.
    Pretty darn good odds WOOgnl provides support for this, but it sounds
    pretty dirty ... I would recommend Java, too.

    >> 14) Eclipse/WOLips: during the development cycle of running ,
    >> debugging running. application instances just pile up.
    >
    > Set your run configuration to use a specific port. Then you can't
    > start a new instance while one is running. So you don't kill your
    > machine with hundreds of running instances.
    >
    > Other tip: I always start in Debug mode, not in Run. Then when I
    > change things that can't be "hot-fixed" Eclipse shows a dialog
    > whether to terminate or restart the application or just to ignore it.
    100% yes and 300% yes.

    >> In wrestling with some of these questions, I was wishing for just a
    >> glimpse over the shoulder of somebody like mike, chuck ... as they
    >> work to get an idea of their habits and usage patterns. 8-)
    >
    > While I'm certainly not Mike or Chuck or Anjo, there are still some
    > spaces open in the class in Germany ... I bet there is some useful
    > stuff to see there. Not sure though ... ;-)
    Is the BNR going to bring your WO course to the US? I bet there would
    be quite a few people who would be into it. I also here it covers a
    huge amount of really good material ... more material than a normal
    person would want to write :)

    ms