Re: WOLips 3.3 Stable

From: Jean Pierre Malrieu (jp.malrie..ree.fr)
Date: Fri Feb 29 2008 - 17:55:46 EST

    Le 29 févr. 08 à 22:46, Chuck Hill a écrit :

    > On Feb 29, 2008, at 4:22 AM, Jean Pierre Malrieu wrote:
    >
    >> Great!
    >> I must say that I have gained a strong feeling of confidence in the
    >> WOLips/Wonder team. I know that some thinks can break, but you all
    >> are so reponsive and fast at solving problems that it does not
    >> really matter.
    >> Now I need to convince the company I am working with to keep using
    >> WO. They say that if you (Mike) and Anjo jump out of the boat, WO
    >> is doomed. And that they can't take that risk :(
    >
    > That sounds more like an excuse than a reason.

    It's not their only argument as you can guess, but I don't want to
    start another debate about WO not being open source and Apple not
    devoting enough resources to it.

    > It is not as if it would stop working. Sure, it might not get
    > anywhere near as many cool new tools, but it is totally usable as it
    > is.

    Are you speaking of WO 5.3 or WO 5.4? ;-)

    > Someone would step in and at least maintain it.

    I am not sure it is the kind of business where you can simply use
    tools which do not evolve. And to keep a certain feeling of
    enthousiasm and pleasure to work, you need to rely on evolving
    technology, don't you think? When I come to the office in the morning
    (no longer full time teacher, I am now half teacher, half developper),
    I tell the poor chaps who were once WO programmers: "Want to see Mike
    Schrag's last inventions?". They gather around my computer, watch
    silently, then go back to their desk, with a smile on their face,
    wispering "this guy is umbelievable". This is our "Agile programming
    with Mike Schrag daily SCRUM" method, somewhere in the South... of
    France.

    JPM