WOLips on Windows [was RE: Eclipse update sites]

From: Bill Michell (bill.michel..bc.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 10:55:50 EDT

    I don't have much I can add to the Wiki. In particular, as I upgraded to
    5.4 from a fully working 5.2.4 (via 5.3) installation, I have no idea
    which steps I have taken over the years are still necessary. However:

    With a fully patched Leopard system, the WO 5.4.1 jars are just sitting
    there in the lib directory, and if you pop them in a Framework project,
    you can stop adding any locally installed System frameworks to the
    classpath. This means a simple WO 5.2 install for Windows is sufficient
    to get you developing. I'm not yet using Project WOnder, so there was no
    issue there.

    AutoOpenInBrowser is completely broken on Windows now, even with the
    Application._isSupportedDevelopmentPlatform hack - but everything else,
    being just java, simply works.

    I used to have a problem with flattened resources, and with locating
    WebServerResources in rapid turnaround mode - so I've written my own
    wrappers around the various WO resource manager methods that do the
    right thing. I don't know whether this is still important with the
    latest WOLips, but I don't thnk that this is Windows-specific anyway.

    Deploying WO5.4 applications to a Windows box is a completely different
    kettle of fish, of course. WO5.4 breaks Windows support, and
    particularly IIS adaptor support, in many wonderful ways. Web Server
    Resource location in direct connect mode also behaves differently. But
    that wiki page isn't about WO on Windows, just WOLips on Windows, right?

    The next steps are probably to migrate to Tomcat (or some other J2EE
    system) hosting, and to incorporate WOnder - at least when the 5.4.1
    support there settles down.

    --
    Bill Michell
    Development Team Leader, Broadcast Platforms, BBC FM&T (Journalism).

    From: David Avendasora [mailto:webobject..vendasora.com] Sent: 10 April 2008 15:15 To: woproject-de..bjectstyle.org Subject: Re: Eclipse update sites

    The most recent Stable is now only a few weeks old at most. Not the 9-moth-old build that was there for so long.

    On a related note, if you have Eclipse, WOLips fully up and running (especially with Stable) on Windows, please document anything special you needed to do to get it working on the Wiki (http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Usage+for+Windows).

    Dave