RE: WOLips on Windows [was RE: Eclipse update sites]

From: Bill Michell (bill.michel..bc.co.uk)
Date: Thu Apr 10 2008 - 12:41:26 EDT

    ________________________________

    From: David Avendasora [mailto:webobject..vendasora.com]
    Sent: 10 April 2008 16:12
    To: woproject-de..bjectstyle.org
    Subject: Re: WOLips on Windows [was RE: Eclipse update sites]

    On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:55 AM, Bill Michell wrote:

    I don't have much I can add to the Wiki. In particular, as I upgraded to
    5.4 from a fully working 5.2.4 (via 5.3) installation, I have no idea
    which steps I have taken over the years are still necessary. However:

    With a fully patched Leopard system, the WO 5.4.1 jars are just sitting
    there in the lib directory, and if you pop them in a Framework project,
    you can stop adding any locally installed System frameworks to the
    classpath. This means a simple WO 5.2 install for Windows is sufficient
    to get you developing. I'm not yet using Project WOnder, so there was no
    issue there.

    So you install 5.2, then create a framework of the 5.4.1 .jars then just
    add that framework to your projects?

    [Bill Michell] Exactly.

     AutoOpenInBrowser is completely broken on Windows now, even with the
    Application._isSupportedDevelopmentPlatform hack - but everything else,
    being just java, simply works.

    I'm guessing this is a WO IDE integration issue, and I believe that Mike
    has done some substantial work on that side, but I don't know if it is
    anything that either broke or will help with WOLips on Windows.

    [Bill Michell] I've covered this in a separate response

    I used to have a problem with flattened resources, and with locating
    WebServerResources in rapid turnaround mode - so I've written my own
    wrappers around the various WO resource manager methods that do the
    right thing. I don't know whether this is still important with the
    latest WOLips, but I don't thnk that this is Windows-specific anyway.

    Probably the same as above.

    Have you filed bugs in JIRA for these issues?

    [Bill Michell] I can't remember. I found them so long ago. It certainly
    has been discussed many times on the mailing list.

    Deploying WO5.4 applications to a Windows box is a completely different
    kettle of fish, of course. WO5.4 breaks Windows support, and
    particularly IIS adaptor support, in many wonderful ways. Web Server
    Resource location in direct connect mode also behaves differently. But
    that wiki page isn't about WO on Windows, just WOLips on Windows, right?

    Exactly. I develop on Mac but deploy to Tomcat on Windows and I've
    easily gotten it to where the same WAR will run on either Mac or Windows
    without problem, I haven't tried Linux but I don't see why it wouldn't
    work there as well.

    The next steps are probably to migrate to Tomcat (or some other J2EE
    system) hosting, and to incorporate WOnder - at least when the 5.4.1
    support there settles down.

    Come on in, the Tomcat water is fine!

    [Bill Michell] Do you have a write up you can point me to?

    Dave

    --
    Bill Michell
    Development Team Leader, Broadcast Platforms, BBC FM&T (Journalism).

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/ This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated. If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system. Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately. Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received. Further communication will signify your consent to this.