Re: Configuring identical Eclipse/WOLips settings on multiple computers

From: Art Isbell (aisbel..ac.com)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 14:47:47 EDT

    On Apr 18, 2008, at 11:29 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    > e.g., if your projects are playing up for no apparent reason, it can
    > sometimes be worth creating a fresh workspace and importing your
    > projects (not copying into mind you) into your new workspace.
    > Naturally it means your new workspace's preferences need setting up
    > again...

            Setting up workspace preferences is a major undertaking that I would
    like to avoid repeating.

    > However, what you can be doing is highlighting your project in the
    > explorer, and option+return or Project > Properties and using
    > specific settings for each project (which can simply be the same as
    > what's in your preferences). That way the settings stick with the
    > project no matter which workspace they're imported into.

            Ah, I see the new .settings directory this creates within a project
    directory. Thanks for this tip! I could place this under version
    control if I want to share this with coworkers.

            However, sharing my .metadata directory has caused problems that
    sharing .settings might not solve. For some reason, "invalid
    classpath container: WebObjects Frameworks" errors occurred for all my
    projects. The WebObjects Frameworks class paths were all the
    standard /System/Library/Frameworks/* except that each framework is a
    soft link to the actual framework directory as part of being able to
    flip between WO 5.3 and 5.4 frameworks under Leopard. So maybe
    Eclipse is storing the actual directory path somewhere, and this path
    would be invalid on my coworker's file system. She has had to delete
    and readd the build path configuration for each project, a major PITA
    and also error-prone.

            I'm not impressed with Eclipse' support for multiple developers
    sharing the same workspace and/or project settings.

    Aloha,
    Art