Re: Configuring identical Eclipse/WOLips settings on multiple computers

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Mon Apr 21 2008 - 15:01:15 EDT

    On Apr 21, 2008, at 11:47 AM, Art Isbell wrote:

    > On Apr 18, 2008, at 11:29 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:
    >
    >> e.g., if your projects are playing up for no apparent reason, it
    >> can sometimes be worth creating a fresh workspace and importing
    >> your projects (not copying into mind you) into your new workspace.
    >> Naturally it means your new workspace's preferences need setting up
    >> again...
    >
    > Setting up workspace preferences is a major undertaking that I
    > would like to avoid repeating.

    Many (though not all) of the settings can be exported and then
    imported into another workspace.

    >> However, what you can be doing is highlighting your project in the
    >> explorer, and option+return or Project > Properties and using
    >> specific settings for each project (which can simply be the same as
    >> what's in your preferences). That way the settings stick with the
    >> project no matter which workspace they're imported into.
    >

    > Ah, I see the new .settings directory this creates within a project
    > directory. Thanks for this tip! I could place this under version
    > control if I want to share this with coworkers.
    >
    > However, sharing my .metadata directory has caused problems that
    > sharing .settings might not solve.

    My feeling is that sharing this directory is a Bad Idea. I don't
    think it was intended for that purpose.

    > For some reason, "invalid classpath container: WebObjects
    > Frameworks" errors occurred for all my projects.

    I have had that happen too. The problem lies in the .classpath
    container / file in the project's root directly. You may perhaps have
    an older version.

    > The WebObjects Frameworks class paths were all the standard /System/
    > Library/Frameworks/*

    That is not what that error message is complaining about.

    > except that each framework is a soft link to the actual framework
    > directory as part of being able to flip between WO 5.3 and 5.4
    > frameworks under Leopard. So maybe Eclipse is storing the actual
    > directory path somewhere, and this path would be invalid on my
    > coworker's file system. She has had to delete and readd the build
    > path configuration for each project, a major PITA and also error-
    > prone.

    Are you sure you have the same versions of Eclipse and WOLips?

    > I'm not impressed with Eclipse' support for multiple developers
    > sharing the same workspace and/or project settings.

    Lachlan's suggestion for project specific settings is probably the
    best. I agree that getting multiple people to have the same workspace
    config is cumbersome.

    Chuck