Re: Apple Maven Support: First Impression

From: Q (qdola..mail.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 04:15:03 EDT

    On 12/06/2008, at 1:36 PM, Henrique Prange wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I have tried the Apple Maven plug-in, but I don't have success because
    > of the version of m2eclipse. As Quinton advised me, I must use an
    > older version of this plug-in. Can anyone confirm which version of
    > m2eclipse should I use?
    >
    > I have used an old version of m2eclipse (before the current 0.9.x)
    > some time ago and it really sucks. I think it is not a good idea to
    > provide a plug-in for Maven integration based on this version (if this
    > is the case).
    >
    > I have also realized (only seeing code and tutorials) the plug-in
    > allow the configuration of "remote repository". Is it really
    > necessary? I've seem some problems in the way this feature are being
    > provided:
    >
    > 1) You have to make this configuration for every WO project. Why not
    > using the settings.xml?

    Because that's not really what the plugin is intended for.

    > 2) Advises users to use WebServer or other mechanisms as a repository
    > instead of a Repository Manager or the local repository itself.

    I think it's the WO dev team's intention to provide a *real* snapshot
    repository, with actual nightly builds. They aren't really nightlies
    if they are uploaded once a month and you need to download them
    manually. The Webserver setting I feel is just a crutch until they
    have the actual repository online and publically accessible.

    > 3) This feature should be (and I think it will be) addressed by
    > m2eclipse. There is a high probability of this effort turns into waste
    > of time in a near future.

    I will probably use it to test nightlies, even if it's using mvn on
    the command line and not using the plugin. I don't intend to use maven
    to build *real* project though.

    > 4) Creates an unnecessary profile.xml file.
    >
    > Before I forget, the wizards are very cool. :) It makes the startup
    > for new users smoother.
    >
    > I want to contribute to this effort to make Maven integrate better
    > with WebObjects and WOLips. But it is difficult without information
    > and planning. Can anyone share some details about the subject?

    Keep in mind this is the WO dev team's way of providing us with a way
    to *TEST NIGHTLY BUILDS* of webobjects, it's not intended as a new way
    to build production WO apps. At least that is my understanding of the
    situation.

    --
    Seeya...Q

    Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com Gold Coast, QLD, Australia (GMT+10) Ph: +61 419 729 806