Re: Apple Maven Support: First Impression (Take 2)

From: Daryl Lee (dle..pple.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 17:28:48 EDT

    Hi All,

    I'm a little late to the party on this discussion. WWDC has kept me
    pretty busy.

    On Jun 12, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Henrique Prange wrote:

    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I've tried the plug-in now and it works. Thanks Mike.
    >
    > I've looked into the generated resources. The warning message about
    > pre-release software is scaring. :)
    >
    > I know you can't talk much, but I have to ask:
    >
    > 1) Why a new maven-apple-plugin? What is wrong with maven-
    > wolifecycle-plugin?

    - add new wizards/templates for creating a suggested WO Maven project
    - add some UI guidance to to the relevant properties that will need to
    be configured for the Apple provided nightly builds
    - present a warning that these are currently NIGHTLY builds and are
    under the ADC usage terms
    - add some plugins (mojos) that will work well with our suggested file
    system layout

    > 2) Why so much configuration in the pom (assembly-plugin and etc.)?
    > Again, what is wrong with the way maven-wolifecycle-plugin package
    > projects? (The final packages generated with both are similar, but
    > with maven-wolifecycle-plugin you have to configure only a few lines
    > in your pom)

    I wanted to give Maven newbies a window into possible extensions in
    the pom and how easy it is to integrate new features into your build
    processes. I used the assembly plugin in order to give people an idea
    about how to create split installs using standard maven components.
    The deploy.xml is relatively transparent in what it's doing. I threw
    in other things such as javadoc generation, unit test reporting,
    etc. I could have made it a bare bones pom.xml but this was more
    about guidance.

    > 3) I know you will not answer that, but is Apple planning to make a
    > proprietary version of Maven plug-in?

    I don't think we are going to create a commercial plugin if that's
    what you're getting at.

    > I understand the lack of transparency of Apple about internal
    > business. I just want to know if I should continue developing things
    > for Maven in WOLips (and writing tutorials) or if it will be waste of
    > my time.

    The nightly builds will be released in Maven repository form. I don't
    see any other simple mechanism to easily deliver this. Maven does
    this so cleanly.