Re: Apple Maven Support: First Impression

From: Daryl Lee (dle..pple.com)
Date: Thu Jun 12 2008 - 17:52:57 EDT

    On Jun 11, 2008, at 8:36 PM, Henrique Prange wrote:

    > Hi everybody,
    >
    > I have tried the Apple Maven plug-in, but I don't have success because
    > of the version of m2eclipse. As Quinton advised me, I must use an
    > older version of this plug-in. Can anyone confirm which version of
    > m2eclipse should I use?

    Apologies, I don't know I ended up linking against an ancient version
    of the maven eclipse plugin.

    > I have used an old version of m2eclipse (before the current 0.9.x)
    > some time ago and it really sucks. I think it is not a good idea to
    > provide a plug-in for Maven integration based on this version (if this
    > is the case).
    >
    > I have also realized (only seeing code and tutorials) the plug-in
    > allow the configuration of "remote repository". Is it really
    > necessary? I've seem some problems in the way this feature are being
    > provided:
    >
    > 1) You have to make this configuration for every WO project. Why not
    > using the settings.xml?

    The idea was to make the templated projects self contained. I didn't
    want to plugin getting into business of managing (and possibly
    wrecking someone's global settings). Once people get the hang of how
    Maven works, they can branch out to using the settings.xml. On the WO
    team we use the settings.xml to manage all of our repository
    configurations.

    > 2) Advises users to use WebServer or other mechanisms as a repository
    > instead of a Repository Manager or the local repository itself.

    I don't think there was guidance towards using the WebServer. Using
    the local repository was also mentioned, especially when just starting
    with the nighly repository.

    > 3) This feature should be (and I think it will be) addressed by
    > m2eclipse. There is a high probability of this effort turns into waste
    > of time in a near future.
    >

    > 4) Creates an unnecessary profile.xml file.

    People can ditch it once they get their feet wet.

    > Before I forget, the wizards are very cool. :) It makes the startup
    > for new users smoother.
    >
    > I want to contribute to this effort to make Maven integrate better
    > with WebObjects and WOLips. But it is difficult without information
    > and planning. Can anyone share some details about the subject?

    I'm open to any and all contributions. I'd like to work out a few of
    the UI kinks and cruft that are in the current plugin first.
    - remove the Preference panel since people don't currently need to log
    in to ADC
    - wire up the dependency panel in the project wizard correctly
    - remove some unnecessary options in the Artifact Wizard page
    - add some support for flattening resources/webserver resources

    Since the UI for the Maven Eclipse plugin is so lacking, I'm thinking
    of exposing more configuration of the pom and maybe the profiles.xml
    in the UI.
    Currently, there isn't any default guidance for building war bundles.
    The default templates should just generate this bundle style with
    everything else.

    I'd be happy to discuss any more ideas you have to extend the
    functionality.