how SHOULD it look

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Wed Jun 18 2008 - 02:50:06 EDT

    I've been experimenting some with Eclipse's emulated tabs on OS X ...
    This is the tabs with an implementation of the Safari tab style:

    The primary thing here is that in Safari, the tabs hang off of the
    bottom of the toolbar area, which has a gradient that attaches that is
    the hue of the selected tab (so the tabs "connect" to the toolbar).
    In Eclipse, you have tabs in many areas, most of which do NOT hang off
    of the toolbar. So in an ideal OS X-ish style, what should Eclipse
    tabs look like? The current tabs:

    look basically like Windows ... (Also, we'll probably swap the X and
    icon. Right now I'm skipping the icon draw -- I'm not convinced they
    even add anything, though).

    I'm wondering if the area between views should be the darker Leopard
    style, which might make the tabs look less out-of-place.

    The Xcode getting started window shows a concept that might be
    applicable for the views themselves:

    with the gaussian blur shadow ... This is very limited, though, as it
    doesn't address draggable areas. Xcode's primary window has grab
    handle split views:

    The big question here is whether Eclipse would look silly if you
    actually showed all the grab handles (which would be between every
    single view). It's technically TRUE, though. Mail app mixes thick
    and thin style split panes:

    where the vertical is a thin split pane (one pixel border) whereas the
    horizontal is a thick with a grab handle.

    So anyway, random things to think about ....... I'm open to any
    suggestions here -- this is all just exploratory at the moment.

    ms