[Annoucement] New WOLips Java Client / Direct To Java Client Tutorial

From: David Avendasora (webobject..vendasora.com)
Date: Wed Jun 25 2008 - 10:46:47 EDT

    Hi all,

    Hopefully everyone knows that Swing-Based Java Client development was
    not deprecated with WO 5.4. But what you may not be aware of is that
    Apple has decided to hold off on deprecating Direct To Java Client
    (non-Nib-based)* as well due to the number of organizations quietly
    using it to great success!

    I have spent quite a bit of my time over the last few weeks (since
    WOWODC) working hard to figure out exactly how to create WebStart
    based Java Client and D2JC apps from scratch using WOLips (big, BIG
    thanks to Daryl Lee at Apple for his assistance). In the past Xcode
    did all the work and you just followed some steps in a wizard and
    ended up with a running app. All the magic was hidden away. With
    WOLips & WOProject, it's a little more work. :-)

    The tutorial and example app linked to below will allow you to take
    any existing EOModel and launch a fully-functional D2JC app from it.
    Just like that. WOMagic!

    I'm planning on eventually creating a WOLips project template to do
    most of the work of the tutorial, but that will come later.

    Now, without further delay: http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WO/Java+Client+and+Direct+To+Java+Client+Example+Project+using+WebStart

    I have also zipped up an Eclipse project that only needs to have an
    EOModel file dropped into the Resources directory, just to make it
    easier for _everyone_ to give JC/D2JC a try! It's available on my iDisk.

    http://homepage.mac.com/WebObjects/FileSharing.woa/wa/default?user=avendasora&templatefn=FileSharing32.html&xmlfn=TKDocument.32.xml&sitefn=RootSite.xml&aff=consumer&cty=US&lang=en

    The resulting Application will run with no problems on WO 5.3.3 and
    5.4 from within Eclipse, but due to a bug with WO 5.4's JNLP
    generation, you cannot automatically generate a JNLP file from a
    deployed app. You can take the JNLP file created by WO 5.3.3 and it
    will still work with a 5.4 server. It's the generation of the JNLP
    that is broken in 5.4, not the actual client application functionality.

    Let me know what you think!

    Dave

    *Nib-based development is impossible now that all the tools for it are
    gone. D2JC on the other hand only requires the current tools, and the
    EOAssistant which is a part of any D2JC application.