Re: Apple Maven Support: First Impression

From: Daryl Lee (dle..pple.com)
Date: Thu Jun 26 2008 - 14:27:29 EDT

    Hi Lachlan,

    Just getting back through some of my emails..... Comments below.

    On Jun 21, 2008, at 1:52 PM, Lachlan Deck wrote:

    > On 13/06/2008, at 8:35 AM, Henrique Prange wrote:
    >
    >> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Lachlan Deck
    >> <lachlan.dec..mail.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Just wondering also, as I'd been using q4e quite happily before,
    >>> how much of
    >>> a dependency the apple maven plugin has on m2eclipse?
    >>>
    >>> http://code.google.com/p/q4e/
    >>> http://www.eclipse.org/proposals/iam/
    >>
    >> IMHO, this plug-in should rely only on Maven Embedder. Not in Q4E
    >> or m2eclipse.
    >
    > Any thoughts on how this might be achieved?

    There are a couple of dependencies here.

    1. During project creation, I'm using the m2eclipse IDE classes to add
    the maven eclipse project nature and classpath containers to the
    project. I'm not sure if there is a cleaner way to do this so that
    people can use either plugin. I haven't looked at the q4e plugin code
    so I'm not sure how they're doing this. We could try abstracting this
    code out so it will work in both worlds.

    2. I'm leveraging the codehaus plugin as a distribution mechanism for
    the maven core classes so wolips doesn't have to repackage them.
    AFAIK, the code should be calling directly into the org.apache.maven
    embedder when we read/write the pom.xml or the profiles.xml.

    3. As you have noted, the wizard dependencies page uses some
    org.maven.ide.* classes. It's just for UI components. This could be
    refactored.