Re: Maven Skepticism

From: Henrique Prange (hprang..mail.com)
Date: Fri Jul 04 2008 - 20:19:59 EDT

    Hi Pierce,

    Pierce T. Wetter III wrote:

    >> You can't release a project if it has a SNAPSHOT
    >> (under development) version of a dependency. These kind of
    >> "restriction" seems like a huge problem for some people.
    >
    > That one seems weird.

    A release is a fixed version on your SCM (tag) and on your repository.
    So, you cannot change a release after you make one. If you make a
    release of your project based on under development dependencies, this
    version is not reliable. Any change in one of your dependencies can
    break your released and unchangeable version. I think this is the
    explanation.

    >> The examples have not do with the standard directory layout.
    >
    > Er, Typo? The examples were not done with the standard directory layout?

    Bad English. English is not my natural language. I apologize for any
    mistakes I made. Feel free to correct me. Lachlan has translated what I
    have tried to say. "These problems happen even if you follow the
    standard directory layout".

    >> Not often. There is no 1.0 plug-in for Maven integration with Eclipse.
    >> So, you can suspect that some features are missing. Both plug-ins
    >> (m2eclipse [2] and q4e [3]) have wizards to add dependencies to your
    >> project. But it doesn't work every time. There is no visual editor for
    >> the pom.xml. But the Eclipse XML Tools can help with the autocomplete
    >> feature.
    >
    > Can you use both or do you have to choose one or the other?

    Both have similar features but distinct approaches. Here [1] you can
    find a comparison matrix. Today I'm using m2eclipse. I have used q4e for
    a while in some projects. But I have never used both together (in the
    same project).

    > Yeah, as I said I read that, but that seems to assume you're making a
    > new project rather then migrating an existing project to maven. Or are
    > you implying the best way to migrate an old project is to generate a new
    > project, then move the old project files into the new locations?

    I did exactly what you described when I started to use Maven to manage
    WebObjects projects 2 years ago. I have created new projects and copied
    the required resources manually. It isn't the best solution, I know.

    Probably we can create a script or Maven goal to help people to migrate
    their projects.

    Just to remember, the Standard Directory Layout is not a requirement to
    use Maven with WebObjects. There is no restriction. I prefer to use this
    layout for 3 reasons: 1) separated trees for main and test resources; 2)
    standard - anyone familiar with Maven is familiar with our project
    structure; 3) bad plug-ins - some Maven plug-ins use constant values for
    paths to resources and classes (maven-wolifecycle-plugin was one of them
    until 2.0.14 version :)). So, if you use the default layout, you are
    avoiding problems with plug-ins that don't honor some Maven principles.

    >> I think everybody will be happy if you
    >> start using Maven and help us to write more documentation.
    >
    > Does asking dumb questions count as helping? :-)

    You are not asking dumb questions at all. The discussion about Maven is
    good. A lot of improvements were made on last few weeks. It also
    provides information for other people interested in start using Maven.

    [1]http://docs.codehaus.org/display/MAVENUSER/Eclipse+Integration

    Cheers,

    Henrique