ERXEOControlUtilities and derived attributes

From: Daniel Roy (daniel.ro..uegodigitalmedia.com)
Date: Mon Jul 07 2008 - 16:01:07 EDT

    Hi all,

    I've run into an issue and would appreciate some feedback from the
    community. I'm trying to do a count on a number of distinct rows in
    one table of my database. The rows are made distinct by the
    combination of two attributes, A and B. After discussing it, an
    attempt was made to use a derived attribute in the EO model to
    represent the combination of A and B. The derived definition value
    used was "A||'_'||B" (minus the double quotes - this is postgres
    format). Then, to do the count, I used
    [ERXEOControlUtilities.objectCountUniqueWithQualifierAndAttribute] and
    specified my derived attribute's name for [attributeName] of the
    method. When I run the application, the SQL that is generated is
    incorrect because the underlying code in
    [EOEnterpriseObjectClazz.objectCountUniqueAttribute] is expecting the
    given attribute to have a column name. Derived attributes do not have
    a column name, so the resulting SQL looks like this:

    "SELECT count( distinct t0.null) FROM BLAH t0"

    I know the derived attribute is being evaluated properly, since I can
    output the attribute's correct value by looping over the result set.
    I could also avoid using
    [ERXEOControlUtilities.objectCountUniqueWithQualifierAndAttribute] by
    simply doing a fetch and looping over the result set and keeping track
    of the count, but I don't actually need the objects in memory - all I
    need is the count.

    Am I going about this the wrong way? Is this something that should be
    addressed in [EOEnterpriseObjectClazz]?

    Thanks in advance,
    Daniel