Re: Maven Optimism

From: Anjo Krank (kran..ogicunited.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 13:11:55 EDT

    Note: I don't think LOC is a good metric, but what the heck. Also, I'm
    not really interested in this discussion. I wouldn't participate if
    not for these unfounded claims you made.

    Am 09.07.2008 um 11:50 schrieb Pierce T. Wetter III:

    > I'm using this as a measure:
    >
    > wc -l `find . -name "build.xml" -print` Build/build/build-*.xml
    > Build/build/generic.xml `find . -name "build.properties" -print`
    > `find . -name "*.patternset" -print` `find . -name ".classpath" -
    > print`

    We don't use the patternsets or the classpath (which are Eclipse
    atrifacts which will soon go away) and the properties are only used
    when you build the projects individually. You can build the whole of
    Wonder using exactly the files I counted. And the properties are
    counted twice, once in the Build/build/build.xml and once in the
    individual file. We might consider to use only one, so build.xml only
    defines the deps and the the props specify the builds.

    > To quote from "generic.xml":
    >
    > 2) to build your own projects that have the same layout as a wonder
    > project
    >
    > So mvn/Wonder have the same approach. Standardize on a layout, so
    > that you can use the same build methodology everywhere. You use the
    > same recipe you get the same bread.
    >
    > But I have to say, the ant build files are very complicated to
    > understand compared to the pom.xml files. In the past, I've found
    > that I end up having to grok all 1300 lines of Build/build/build.xml
    > and Build/build/generic.xml in order to debug the build of one of my
    > projects.

    I gave an example for a project ant build file and do not see how this
    is complicated at all. One may argue that docs on the trizillion
    properties is lacking, but haven't seen anyone asking on the list so
    far, so I can only assume they work well for everybody who is
    interested.

    >> Fourth, adding a project typically requires five lines in Build/
    >> build/build.xml to add it to the correct group and some props. I
    >> might consider moving these props from the build file to a
    >> build.properties and making Build/build/build.xml only specify the
    >> inter-related deps.
    >
    > Except you have to add the build dependencies somewhere as well,
    > which if you want to compare apples/oranges, you really have to
    > count right? You also have to count the information in
    > build.properties. The information in the pom.xml file for a new
    > project without dependencies is more then 5 lines, its like 10
    > lines, but 5 of those name the project so you can reference it
    > elsewhere and the other 5 reference the super-pom

    My top-level stuff for the project group(s) is also only a few lines.

    But whatever: where is the maven dual build of Wonder with 5.4 and 5.3?

    Never mind. This is my last post on this topic, maven users may find
    peace and prosperity wherever they thread.

    Cheers, Anjo

    --
    iFill, free music from thousands of radio streams
    http://ifill.twosailors.net