Re: Maven Optimism

From: Pierce T. Wetter III (pierc..winforces.com)
Date: Wed Jul 09 2008 - 20:11:51 EDT

    >> Now, what does maven do for this? Unless it is reading
    >> the .classpath file, it also has to somehow, somewhere duplicate
    >> the information that Eclipse uses.
    >
    > No. It's the opposite actually. The classpath is dynamic via the
    > maven plugin / builder. i.e., the classpath in eclipse is derived
    > from your pom. So there's no duplication there.

       Ah...Coolness.

    >> And will Eclipse update the Maven information in the pom.xml when
    >> a new framework is added?
    >
    > Yes.
    >
    >> When a new jar is added to the project?
    >
    > Yes.

       Ah...Coolness.

    >> Or is that all manual pom fiddling?
    >
    > You can do that also if you wish and there's nothing to do in
    > Eclipse (except maybe refresh if you edited it externally from
    > Eclipse). i.e., all of these three examples result in pom file
    > updates.

      The screenshots Henrique posted of the upcoming m2eclipse changes
    look pretty cool.

    >> How would Maven handle it if the package name for the Application
    >> were changed in Eclispe?
    >
    > Huh?

       I think he means lets say you have your Application.java in a
    package thusly:

      com.twinforces.myCoolApp.Application

      And you change it to:

      com.twinforces.myCoolerApp.Application

      What do you have to edit so that the new value ends up in
    MacOSClassPath.txt.

      Pierce