Re: Encoding prefs

From: Q (qdola..mail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 28 2008 - 21:10:27 EDT

    On 29/07/2008, at 7:29 AM, Kieran Kelleher wrote:

    > Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but sometime recently this
    > prefs file (see attached skitch-shot) with encoding for every
    > WOComponent file we touch is being maintained by Eclipse (or
    > WOLips?) It is becoming a PITA to svn merge it as others on the team
    > make changes ........ what is the story with this file ..... do I
    > need it?
    >
    > I saw an email from Mike S to Anjo recently saying to set the
    > Components folder to be UTF-8 (to avoid updates to this encodinf
    > prefs file), but that does not seem to have had any effect (prefs
    > skitch-shot also attached)
    >
    > Any wisdom on how to get this annoying thing out of my subversion
    > life?!

    The whole reason this behaviour exists is so that components don't
    magically change their encoding types at the whim of the workspace
    they are checked out into. If you set the component folder to a
    specific encoding type and set your components to inherit their
    encoding type from the parent, eclipse will not need to maintain these
    settings in the encoding prefs file. However, currently when you
    create a new WOComponent it will not default to inheriting its
    encoding from the parent folder even if the encoding types are
    currently the same (so it doesn't magically change encoding at a later
    date), you need to explicitly set it to inherit from the parent folder
    after the new component has been created.

    --
    Seeya...Q

    Quinton Dolan - qdola..mail.com Gold Coast, QLD, Australia (GMT+10) Ph: +61 419 729 806