Re: sql generation for oracle

From: Mike Schrag (mschra..dimension.com)
Date: Thu Oct 02 2008 - 17:29:26 EDT

    > So Oracle has this 30 character limit on identifiers, which is often
    > exceeded when doing SQL generation from Entity Modeler for foreign
    > key constraints.
    >
    > Having not looked at the source, how hard would it be to truncate
    > these to a unique value <=30 chars when dealing with Oracle?
    > (Assuming you don't really care what the name looks like.)
    Funny, I was just talking to a coworker about this same thing ...
    since ... i will be using Oracle ... soon ... and I blame you for
    this. I was trying to decide if it should be done in the OraclePlugIn
    or in WOLips. I'd almost like the OraclePlugIn to do name mangling
    automagically, which would allow you to have a "pure" model that could
    move between dbs. Actually, maybe we could do it in Wonder during
    model loading ... You could set a [ModelName].maxColumnLength=30 and
    it could do name mangling. Ultimately, though it would probably be
    less "tricky" to make it happen in WOLips (and you wouldn't have to
    worry about coming up with a persistent mangling scheme).

    ms