Re: Problems starting Maven based WOApplication in WOLips 3.4.5503 on Windows XP

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf (lars.sonchocky-helldor..amburg.de)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2008 - 11:30:30 EDT

    Am 15.10.2008 um 16:04 schrieb Lachlan Deck:

    > Hey Lars,
    >
    > On 15/10/2008, at 10:51 AM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
    >
    >> when trying to launch a Maven based WOApplication inside Eclipse
    >> 3.4 / WOLips 3.4.5503 on a Windows XP machine which HASN'T
    >> WebObjects installed at first I got some null pointer exception
    >> which had something to do with not being able to read certain
    >> environment variables (I had a stacktrace on it inside the error
    >> log view in Eclipse but my co-worker did hit the clear button when
    >> trying to work the problem out while I was at lunch :-(
    >
    > :-)
    >
    >> After that I could never reproduce it, even when deleting the
    >> environment variables and restarting the machine). Before I went
    >> to lunch we tried to set the environment variables mentioned in
    >> <http://wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Installing
    >> +WebObjects-WOLips+on+Windows> to the following values to see what
    >> happens:
    >>
    >> NEXT_ROOT=C:\Apple
    >> WEBOBJECTS_JAVA_EXTENSIONS=%JAVA_HOME%\lib\ext
    >> WEBOBJECTS_JAVA_HOME=%JAVA_HOME%
    >>
    >> However, the NPE went away and the following came up:
    >>

    >> [2008-10-14 16:58:1 CEST] <main> <WOResourceManager> Unable to
    >> locate the "JavaWebObjects" bundle
    >> [2008-10-14 16:58:1 CEST] <main> Unable to initialize WOProperties
    >> for reason: Cannot find JavaWebObjects framework !
    >> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to locate the
    >> "JavaWebObjects" bundle
    >> <...>
    >> Caused by: java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to locate the
    >> "JavaWebObjects" bundle
    >> at
    >> com.webobjects.appserver.WOResourceManager.__getJavaWebObjectsResourc
    >> eAsStream(WOResourceManager.java:131)
    >
    > All this is doing is looking for the JavaWebObjects bundle having
    > been already loaded during started. i.e., it's calling
    > NSBundle.bundleForName("JavaWebObjects") which in turn looks up an
    > NSDictionary and is getting null in return... so it decides to
    > throws an error.
    >
    >> What makes me wonder is that even when launching a Maven based
    >> WOApplication a static WO installation seems to be required and
    >> referred (environment variables).
    >
    > I don't believe that's true.

    hmm, at least the NPE in the Eclipse WOApps launcher went away after
    setting the NEXT_ROOT env for the first time. This could - of course
    - be completely unrelated.

    >> Shouldn't it work out of the box without any WO installed at the
    >> machine at all (and loading all the dependencies from the
    >> local .m2/repository instead)
    >
    > Well, I'm going to ask the thing that seems too obvious first
    > (sorry, you didn't mention anything about it, so I have to ask).
    > Have you declared those jars as dependencies in your pom file?
    > i.e.,
    > <dependencies>
    > <dependency>
    > <artifactId>JavaWebObjects</artifactId>
    > <groupId>com.apple.webobjects</groupId>
    > <version>5.4.2</version>
    > </dependency>
    > etc
    > </dependencies>

    Our project structure looks like this:

    TankDiskAll

    + Applications
    | + TankDiskServer
    | | |
    | | \ pom.xml
    | |
    | + TankDiskAdmin
    | | |
    | | \ pom.xml
    | |
    | \ pom.xml <- JavaWebObjects-5.4.2.jar is defined here like above

    + Frameworks
    | + TankDiskData
    | | |
    | | \ pom.xml
    | \ pom.xml
    \ pom.xml <- this is the parent POM

    and the project builds now (after switching to the 2.0.16-SNAPSHOT
    version of maven-wolifecycle-plugin like Henrique suggested.)

    But the exception during the launch attempt remains …

    >> Is this a bug or a misconception on my side?
    >
    > Not sure yet.
    >
    >> The ant.* files look like this (note the windows style backslashes!):
    >
    > Have you tried regex-replacing the backslashes for forwards?

    Tried that too, no consequences so far (still getting exactly the
    same exception)

    > with regards,
    > --
    >
    > Lachlan Deck