Re: Problems starting Maven based WOApplication in WOLips 3.4.5503 on Windows XP

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 15 2008 - 16:25:16 EDT

    On 16/10/2008, at 2:30 AM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:

    > Am 15.10.2008 um 16:04 schrieb Lachlan Deck:
    >
    >> On 15/10/2008, at 10:51 AM, Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
    >>
    >>> when trying to launch a Maven based WOApplication inside Eclipse
    >>> 3.4 / WOLips 3.4.5503 on a Windows XP machine which HASN'T
    >>> WebObjects installed at first I got some null pointer exception
    >>> which had something to do with not being able to read certain
    >>> environment variables (I had a stacktrace on it inside the error
    >>> log view in Eclipse but my co-worker did hit the clear button when
    >>> trying to work the problem out while I was at lunch :-(
    >>
    >> :-)

    Just to clarify, how was this working for you before? What's changed?

    >> All this is doing is looking for the JavaWebObjects bundle having
    >> been already loaded during started. i.e., it's calling
    >> NSBundle.bundleForName("JavaWebObjects") which in turn looks up an
    >> NSDictionary and is getting null in return... so it decides to
    >> throws an error.
    >>
    >>> What makes me wonder is that even when launching a Maven based
    >>> WOApplication a static WO installation seems to be required and
    >>> referred (environment variables).
    >>
    >> I don't believe that's true.
    >
    > hmm, at least the NPE in the Eclipse WOApps launcher went away after
    > setting the NEXT_ROOT env for the first time. This could - of course
    > - be completely unrelated.

    Okay. What was the stack trace of the NPE beforehand?

    >>> Shouldn't it work out of the box without any WO installed at the
    >>> machine at all (and loading all the dependencies from the
    >>> local .m2/repository instead)
    >>

    > Our project structure looks like this:

    Cool. Sorry - had to eliminate the obvious.

    > and the project builds now (after switching to the 2.0.16-SNAPSHOT
    > version of maven-wolifecycle-plugin like Henrique suggested.)

    Okay. Great. So if you from TankDiskAll do
    $ mvn clean package

    What do classpath.properties, classpath.txt, and wobuild.properties
    look like in TankDiskAdmin/target?

    > But the exception during the launch attempt remains …

    hmm. In your LaunchConfig for your app, on the Source tab do you see
    under the expanded Default all the jars and project dependencies you
    expect?

    Running within WOLips has some differences in that it does (perhaps
    did... I haven't tested with more recent nightlies to see if this is
    really still needed) have some dependencies on what it builds into
    project/build/YourProject.[woa|framework].

    So my launchconfig for one of my apps looks like this:

    You might want to have a look at what settings you've inherited from
    WOlips prefs in the WO tab of your launchconfig for the app. By
    default these are all ticked in WOLips prefs. I usually untick most of
    them except the ones that actually make sense to set manually. So you
    might need to play with these.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck