Re: Problems starting Maven based WOApplication in WOLips 3.4.5503 on Windows XP

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf (lars.sonchocky-helldor..amburg.de)
Date: Thu Oct 16 2008 - 07:28:30 EDT

    Am 15.10.2008 um 22:03 schrieb Henrique Prange:

    > Hi Lars,
    >
    > Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf wrote:
    >> Howdy,
    >> when trying to launch a Maven based WOApplication inside Eclipse
    >> 3.4 / WOLips 3.4.5503 on a Windows XP machine which HASN'T
    >> WebObjects installed at first I got some null pointer exception
    >> which had something to do with not being able to read certain
    >> environment variables (I had a stacktrace on it inside the error
    >> log view in Eclipse but my co-worker did hit the clear button when
    >> trying to work the problem out while I was at lunch :-( After that
    >> I could never reproduce it, even when deleting the environment
    >> variables and restarting the machine). Before I went to lunch we
    >> tried to set the environment variables mentioned in <http://
    >> wiki.objectstyle.org/confluence/display/WOL/Installing+WebObjects-
    >> WOLips+on+Windows> to the following values to see what happens:
    >> NEXT_ROOT=C:\Apple
    >> WEBOBJECTS_JAVA_EXTENSIONS=%JAVA_HOME%\lib\ext
    >> WEBOBJECTS_JAVA_HOME=%JAVA_HOME%
    >
    > This is not required.
    >
    >> However, the NPE went away and the following came up:
    >> [2008-10-14 16:58:1 CEST] <main> <WOResourceManager> Unable to
    >> locate the "JavaWebObjects" bundle
    >> [2008-10-14 16:58:1 CEST] <main> Unable to initialize WOProperties
    >> for reason: Cannot find JavaWebObjects framework !
    >> java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to locate the
    >> "JavaWebObjects" bundle
    >> [2008-10-14 16:58:1 CEST] <main> A fatal exception occurred:
    >> <WOApplication>: Cannot be initialized.
    >> [2008-10-14 16:58:1 CEST] <main>
    >> com.webobjects.foundation.NSForwardException
    >> [java.lang.IllegalStateException] Unable to locate the
    >> "JavaWebObjects" bundle:<WOApplication>: Cannot be initialized.
    >
    > Have you added the ${project}/build/${project}.woa/Contents/
    > Resources/Java folder to the classpath when running the
    > application? (You can check in the Run Configurations panel)

    the classpath did look like this:

    Unbekannt.jpg

    I then added TankDiskServer/build/TankDiskServer.woa/Contents/
    Resources/Java manually as classpath variable like this:

    Unbekannt.jpg

    but that did not help the cause. Btw, the Maven Classpath Container
    is provided by the Q4E plugin: http://code.google.com/p/q4e/ http://
    q4e.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/updatesite/ if that is of any importance

    >> What makes me wonder is that even when launching a Maven based
    >> WOApplication a static WO installation seems to be required and
    >> referred (environment variables).
    >
    > Believe me, it is not necessary. I've tested an old project right
    > now only with Windows, Eclipse and Java installed.
    >
    >> Shouldn't it work out of the box without any WO installed at the
    >> machine at all (and loading all the dependencies from the
    >> local .m2/repository instead)
    >
    > Yes. Using Maven should be the easiest way to develop WO
    > applications in Windows.
    >
    >> Is this a bug or a misconception on my side?
    >
    > I think the best answer is: lack of documentation.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Henrique

    regards,

            Lars