builds conditional on version?

From: Ray Kiddy (ra..anymede.org)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2008 - 12:00:32 EDT

    Has anyone investigated this in the past? It seems that Project
    Wonder assumes things about the version of WO you are using (and I
    know I am massively simplifying the situation here, as I know and
    appreiate that much has been done to make things work). But this
    might just be a losing game.

    It seems that it should be possible to have the build system do
    different things based on the WO version and the Project Wonder version.

    The downside is that if we say it works with 3 versions of that and 3
    versions of that, there are 9 things to test. And we also have a
    "internal eclipse build" and an ant build that creates two further
    configurations. So, that may be 18. On the other hand, that level of
    complexity exists right now. It is just pushed off to the user to
    deal with....

    Perhaps I am just being distracted. I have been trying to fix some
    things in examples, but I can fix some things for some versions and
    other things for other versions. It is like a big Rubik's cube, and
    it is not clear one can solve the puzzle with the tools we have now.
    One problem is that I can see how to do this with ant, but not with
    the eclipse build system. Overall, the ant build system has
    advantages over the internal build system, but when the internal
    build system works, it is really nice. Perhaps there is a way to make
    ant builds as naturally integrated in and I jam just missing it.

    Well, if anyone has suggestions, or wishes to mock the idea as
    foolishness, please do.

    cheers - ray