Re: Nightly => Stable?

From: Gavin Eadie (ramsaycon..mail.com)
Date: Wed Dec 03 2008 - 22:23:03 EST

    On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 3:25 PM, Chuck Hill <chil..lobal-village.net> wrote:

    > On Dec 1, 2008, at 10:08 AM, Michael DeMan (WO) wrote:
    >
    > Hi All,
    >>
    >> At first I didn't think this would be a problem for the projects I
    >> regularly work on, mostly some work to migrate them over to 3.4 + nightly,
    >> but then I discovered a lot of lengthy custom build scripts require the old
    >> 'stable' version of WOLips.
    >

    > I am in a similar situation. We have lots of old projects with customized
    > builds that we will need to go back to and work on at some point. I have
    > also migrated more than a dozen to new hotness. For myself, I decided that
    > the minor changes needed were well worth the benefits of New Hotness. When
    > we go back to these old projects, we will upgrade their build. This is
    > easier now than previously as Ant support an "import" command as of version
    > 1.6: http://ant.apache.org/manual/CoreTasks/import.html Using this allows
    > the common parts of build files (e.g. most of them) to be extracted and
    > reused. This can make your build process easier to understand and maintain
    > (as there is only one implementation) and also ease conversion to New
    > Hotness.
    >
    > Chuck

    I'm returning to WebObjects after a few months doing iPhone programming to
    assist a colleague move to Eclipse/WOLips, and I'm not sure where to take
    him. My own WOLips tools are still at the Europa level, but I'm prepared to
    take the jump to Ganymede and suffer any pain personally before trying to
    walk someone new into it.

    What would you advise? Move to 3.4.1+nightly now, wait for 3.4.1+stable,
    get him going with 3.3+stable and migrate him later? Any help much
    appreciated ... Gavin