Re: Maven Archetype's pom.xml :

From: Lachlan Deck (lachlan.dec..mail.com)
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 20:34:19 EST

    Hi GB,

    On 09/11/2009, at 12:00 PM, Mr. G Brown wrote:

    > Hi people,
    >
    > The maven archetype creates project pom.xmls which are not very
    > portable or robust, because they don't refer to the repositories
    > they need.

    This will all depend on whether you're wanting to rely on the fake
    releases that Henrique publishes ... or your own intranet/build
    servers (as is intended).

    > And isn't that exactly what maven is supposed to be: A robust
    > portable way to build projects?

    It is. And it is.

    > It would seem (from what little I've read) that to create projects
    > which have a portable build, project specific things like special
    > repositories (wocommunity) should be put in with the project. One
    > should be able to hand the project pom.xml to somebody who doesn't
    > know anything about webobjects and maven should be able to build it,
    > shouldn't they?

    They should, yes. My projects include that info but they don't point
    to wocommunity.org.

    > Currently the repositories are referenced in ,m2/settings.xml -- is
    > that best? Shouldn't the archetypes put in the pom.xml the
    > repositories needed to produce the wo-app?

    So long as the archetypes are not in the central repository you'll
    always need your ~/.m2/settings.xml file so that maven knows where to
    pull these additional archetypes from when creating your project.
    After that, you can make it self-contained for sure.

    However, we could think about providing the repositories config by
    default, allowing you to change it or rip it out.
    Any objections Henrique?

    > I'd be happy to put in a jira, what do you all think?

    Sure, please create a JIRA.

    with regards,

    --

    Lachlan Deck