Re: Question about modus operandi

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Sep 21 2002 - 09:34:38 EDT

    At 02:42 PM 9/21/2002 +0200, Holger Hoffstätte wrote:

    >A question on SF CVS: would it be possible to be notified about CVS
    >changes via email? Some projects seem to forward these to their -devel
    >lists so not everybody gets swamped. How about it?

    +1, but I'd probably setup a separate list to make it easier to filter
    commits from discussion and avoid archiving commit messages and to clearly
    separate discussion from automatic messages. I would probably even use
    SF-based mailing list.

    >Also, should improvements or suggestions always go via the SF tracker or
    >is this more appropriate for bug reports and 'major' items?

    So far task trackers have been used for what they are - to track "approved"
    suggestions so that we don't forget them (esp. long term features). I guess
    we could organize this better and open a tracker item after a feature is
    discussed on this list and gets some kind of consensus approval. Of course
    "PM" features of trackers like deadlines are probably of lesser importance
    since we are OS after all.

    Bug tracker is separate and is used exclusively for bug tracking(even if a
    developer finds and fixes a bug himself).

    Another separate thing that I am using is a
    doc/release-notes/RELEASE-NOTE-xyz.txt. Once something new gets
    implemented, I'd drop a note there, so that preparing an overview of the
    new release takes no time at all. I wonder if this should be combined with
    Task Trackers?

    Andrus