Re: Recent mass update

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Sun Dec 01 2002 - 18:19:08 EST

    Andrus wrote:
    > It seems like the recent update replaced all explicit import statements
    > with wildcard imports with "*". Is this something that happened due to your
    > Eclipse settings, or was it deliberate?

    You are right..I guess it was a combination of both.

    > I still support explicit imports. They make it easy to understand class
    > dependencies just by looking at the code. In Cayenne I was trying to be

    Holy War ahead ;-)
    Interesting point though, I always tried to find out why some people do
    this (explicit imports) and this is the first time I hear about the
    (definitely valid!) dependency tracking idea..guess I need to think more
    about that. Some people think that importing a full package somehow 'makes
    the JAR bigger' like e.g. with C, which is of course nonsense. I guess for
    editing new code it's just commonly easier because you don't have to
    constantly rearrange your imports. Also keeps the source shorter, no point
    in importing 20 lines of java.util when that's all you're using. Guess I
    really have to force myself to CMD-Shift-O more.

    > more or less consistent with that.

    I can just revert the imports again if you prefer to; no problem. I got
    plenty of time at the moment..and after all there's this saying by A.
    Einstein: "Be consistent or be inconsistent, but don't be both!" ;-)

    -h