Re: My local Cayenne changes

From: Dave Slusher (dslushe..uarded.net)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 11:20:51 EST

    At 11:41 PM 1/3/2003 -0500, you wrote:
    >Hi Dave,
    >
    >Using opaque database mechanisms for the primary key generation was
    >intentionally "overlooked" in Cayenne. The reason being a problem of
    >retrieving the value, that was just assigned to the inserted row, back
    >into the object on the Java side. This is absolutely essential for the O/R.
    >
    >Your use of Cayenne is indeed unusual, though rather cool. If we are to
    >integrate this to Cayenne though, we need a solid mechanism to update the
    >objects after the insert is done. Anybody has any comments on how this can
    >be done?

    Don't most of the drivers have some way of retrieving this data? In mysql
    you have the last_insert_id function, in Oracle you have the curr_value of
    the sequence on the particular connection (I *think* this is threadsafe. We
    did an experiment where several of us were inserting via SQLPlus and
    inserts outside our own connections were not affecting our own curr_value).

    >One question about your changes. What is "defaultValue"?

    That is the default value of the column if not otherwise specified. I had
    to add that because we have a few cases where the default value is 1 or 100
    or some other value beyond the "default" default of null/0.

    This is why I was curious if any of these alterations have relevance beyond
    our admittedly odd use of it.