Re: My local Cayenne changes

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Jan 06 2003 - 15:02:03 EST

    Dave Slusher writes:
    >> Your use of Cayenne is indeed unusual, though rather cool. If we are to
    >> integrate this to Cayenne though, we need a solid mechanism to update the
    >> objects after the insert is done. Anybody has any comments on how this
    >> can be done?
    >
    > Don't most of the drivers have some way of retrieving this data? In mysql
    > you have the last_insert_id function, in Oracle you have the curr_value of
    > the sequence on the particular connection (I *think* this is threadsafe.
    > We did an experiment where several of us were inserting via SQLPlus and
    > inserts outside our own connections were not affecting our own
    > curr_value).

    I am too spoiled by using WebObjects/EOF, and now Cayenne :-). I rarely had
    to use driver-specific tricks. But if at least some drivers have their own
    mechanism for reading back generated values, I am all for adding this
    feature to Cayenne.

    Though I personally will have to put it on hold till I have some more time
    from doing other tasks. But patches and other help is certainly welcomed.

    >> One question about your changes. What is "defaultValue"?
    >
    > That is the default value of the column if not otherwise specified. I had
    > to add that because we have a few cases where the default value is 1 or
    > 100 or some other value beyond the "default" default of null/0.

    I am dumb... I was thinking of a default value in a context of primary key
    generation... Nevermind that.

    Andrus