Re: Modeler vs. consistency of DataMap/Entity/Attribute/Relationship

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Sun Mar 02 2003 - 15:29:33 EST

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    > I totally agree that Modeler is confusing and hard to modify. I said it
    > all along, since I was the first one to feel the pain of the original
    > "hit-and-run" Modeler design. A few months ago I grew so desperate with

    No hard feelings ;-)
    I was just as disappointed to see how useless Swing as an application
    framework really is.

    > I think we should do a full conversion to Scope (maybe in 1.1 or 1.2). I
    > (..snip..)

    fully agree, scope seems very helpful. Lots of useful things in there.

    > Hopefully using Scope will allow us to get rid of *all* map modification
    > events. Scope uses hierarchies of MVC triades and allows event

    Um..no, please? What I tried to say in my mail was that I liked the
    non-display events like AttributeEvent etc., but that they are simply in
    the wrong place (package-wise) where the DataMap itself cannot benefit
    from it right now. That's all! It would be so great to have Entity as
    AttributeEvent listener, for example. It seems Craig understood what I
    meant; messing with the model at runtime has always been a problem with
    EOF since there was no way to invalidate the internally cached structures.

    > I haven't done the full switch yet (only a few recent panels are
    > implemented using Scope), since I feel like Modeler in its current form
    > has an acceptable level of quality for the end users and is ready for
    > 1.0. I did not want to break it apart and face the task of rebuilding it
    > from scratch, thus delaying the 1.0 date further.

    I understand that: one of our customers is playing with it and likes it,
    even though they will use TopLink 'for real'. But generally reception so
    far has been positive already and is probably going to get better for 1.0
    (L&F, prefs saving). On the other hand I now spent almost three days
    trying to get the rename-entity functionality working and have so far not
    yet been able to get it right. Even rebuilding the tree view is really
    obscure and doesn't work as expected..maybe I'm just too dumb. :(

    > As a downside, I stopped any attempts to optimize events and other
    > things till the switch is done. 1.0 is the most important thing now!

    OK.

    Holger