ByteArray trimming - why?

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Tue Mar 04 2003 - 05:04:55 EST

    I'm looking into the Char/ByteArray type additions and am very surprised
    that ByteArrayType now supports trimming. Isn't this very wrong? While
    trimming is obviously helpful for CHAR (to make it feel more like Strings
    on the Java side instead of a fixed size char[], I think that stripping
    trailing nulls from a byte[] is just asking for trouble. I know I'd be
    really surprised if (say) bitmaps would suddenly come out only half way.
    Andrus, can you explain why this is necessary or correct?

    Holger