Re: PermIds and the new ContextCommit

From: Craig Miskell (cmiskel..lbatross.co.nz)
Date: Tue Mar 11 2003 - 16:56:49 EST

    On Wed, 2003-03-12 at 10:53, Andriy Shapochka wrote:

    > > to have in DataContext? The code is nearly identical (the PKGSupport
    > > method appears slightly more complex... probably good reason :-)), and
    > > createPermId is only used by a couple of tests.
    > >
    > > Should createPermId be deprecated and implemented in terms of
    > > PKGSupport.createPermIdsForObjEntity() ?
    > >
    > > Craig
    > >

    > Maybe, we should remove the method from DataContext altogether. Are there
    > any realistic scenarios when a Cayenne user can desire to create primary ids
    > manually with DataContext.createPermId(...)? It looks very internal thing to
    > me.
    Well, like I said, we use it. We simply need to ensure that the object
    *has* a permanent id, so perhaps "create" is a misnomer. I definitely
    think there needs to some public API (as per comments by Andrus), but
    just what that should be may lead to interesting debate! :-)

    Some ideas (not fully formed, will probably have flaws):
    1) Method on TempObjectId to ensure creation of perm id.
    2) Method on DataContext which does the same sort of thing, but takes an
    object as the argument.
    3)... other?

    2 seems reasonable... checks the objectid of the object. If a permanent
    id is needed, uses PKGSupport to get it. Should work :-)

    Craig