(OT) Direct method calls vs. interfaces

From: Holger Hoffstätte (holge..izards.de)
Date: Sat Mar 22 2003 - 09:09:36 EST

    If you ever wondered why Java just doesn't seem to get faster, check out
    this pretty hair-raising thread:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?th=3d420f5d3b4af907 (start from posting
    #7).
    I can confirm that the posted example program consistently yields
    differences between a _factor_ of 10 for the client and *100* for the
    server VM (presumably since server inlines much more aggessively) on my
    2.4 GHZ P4; it's between 2 (client) and 37 (server) on my 266 MHz P2 with
    the Blackdown 1.4.1 VM.

    I am speechless. :-(
    Holger