RE: O-R modeling via UML

From: Michael Henderson (michael..jhenderson.com)
Date: Mon Mar 24 2003 - 13:42:18 EST

    Hi,
        I thought I would try adding an editor for the custom tagged values
    then a 'save as' or 'export' option.

    I have considered adding the cayenne.xml and the datanode.driver.xml content
    as tagged values on the model object at the root of the model object
    hierarchy,
    then the whole cayenne model could be generated.

    Next would be code generation for cayenne java source

    The final 'really cool' feature would be to add a new diagram type
    with a class view (pure UML) and a schema view.

    Further downstream, it might be possible to use the .zargo file as the
    model and perform the cayenne xml transformation at runtime.

    There are some issues with ArgoUML:

      1. Metal look & feel is hard-coded
           - it looks like this is an issue that is being addressed.

      2. Documentation on writing modules is very thin
           - there is an active developer mailing list.

      3. Some bugs
           - when I chose BigDecimal as the type for estimatedPrice in Painting
             the BigDecimal class provided was not in a package. I had to create
             my own java.math.BigDecimal in the model. This may be fixed, I need
             to check the lists.

    Apart from these I had no problem using ArgoUML for this class diagram.

    I also found a very preliminary Eclipse plugin for ArgoUML which was able to
    display
    the model, but not edit it.