Re: Stress testing tools

From: Arndt Brenschede (a..iamos.de)
Date: Mon Apr 28 2003 - 05:13:08 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > I frankly don't see any flaws with RequestQueue. Basically
    > in the competition for shared resource it favors those who
    > waited longer, as opposed to notifyAll() mechanism that is
    > unpredictable (and JVM implementation dependent).

    notify() may be your friend.

    notifyAll() really wakes up all threads in the queue
    and may lead to the random chaos you describe.
    Also the timeout you need can be specified as wait( <timeout> ).
    But I agree there's no actual problem in RequestQueue/Dequeue,
    so if you stick to them for nostalgic reasons I will stop
    argueing on that :-)

    > As for the original discussion (link above), I think there
    > are issues with reusing the connection while there are open
    > ResultSets, unread CLOBs, etc... The best way to see if
    > this is true is to actually try it out, I guess.

    It's called open cursors (the ResultSets, unread CLOBs etc.)
    On Oracle, it's a configurable parameter how many open
    cursers a connection can have. In init<SID>.ora, there's
    a line:

    open_cursors=300

    regards,

    Arndt