Oracle Connection Manager failure

From: Andriy Shapochka (ashapochk..otmail.com)
Date: Fri May 23 2003 - 09:12:02 EDT

    Don't know whether the following should be considered a bug. Still worth mentioning, I guess.

    Scenario:
    OS: Win2K
    Database: Oracle 9.2, access over Oracle Connection Manager, its parameters set to defaults.
    Cayenne data node configured with DriverDataSourceFactory, 1 connection in the pool, Oracle JDBC Thin Driver.
    1) An app connects to the database and performs some operations.
    2) It exits as usual.
    As a result Connection Manager does not close the connection established by the app, instead it starts to eat the CPU up to 99%. It also holds an inactive connection to the database. This apparently happens since Cayenne does not close the JDBC connection explicitly on exit (I checked it turning Oracle Thin Driver log on). If one forces PoolManager to close all the open connections with dispose() in the shutdown hook, the problem goes away, of course.
    So I just thought, at some point it could be worthwhile to add a public method to DataDomain or DataNode that would allow a user to close all actual connections to the database whenever this might be needed.

    Andriy.