Re:..uthor tags in community projects

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 01:58:32 EST

    On Jan 8, 2004, at 3:16 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
    > Interesting thread on..uthor tags in community projects.
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/yrlhu
    >
    > I included a couple of the more interesting snippets below, but left
    > out
    > some of the legal arguments.

    Yeah, this discussions do pop up every once in a while, kind of like
    GPL vs. BSD license flamewars - there is no "right" or "wrong". There
    are three main concerns about..uthor tag in that thread: someone
    getting more credit than he deserves; a false perception of ownership
    of a piece of code; unneeded exposure of developers to the potential
    legal liability.

    As for giving extra credit, I totally agree that..uthor tag is
    imperfect. But unlike some of the posters, I don't think that it makes
    it evil somehow, and personally I don't care much about it either way.
    I guess Jakarta folks had some real bad situations, something we
    haven't experienced (yet?) in Cayenne. There is no good way to quantify
    someone's contribution to the project, and this is not the problem with
    the..uthor tag. This is just the nature of open source - most
    contributors would send a single patch, and disappear forever, some
    others would make significant contributions an extended period of time,
    but then switch to .NET, etc. :-)

    Code ownership... This hasn't been an issue in Cayenne yet, though I
    can see how it can potentially become one... Again, I think the problem
    here is better communication between the people involved, not some
    arbitrary comments in the code.

    Legal Issues... Unlike Apache, ObjectStyle.org doesn't provide blanket
    legal protection for the contributors (or any legal protection
    whatsoever). There is no "ObjectStyle Foundation" as a legal entity, so
    there is no legal reason to avoid..uthor either.

    On a side note, since we are growing as a community, I am in favor of
    organizing ObjectStyle into a non-profit organization for developers
    and run by developers, similar to Apache Foundation. This would have
    great benefits, but I don't think it is realistic at this moment
    without some corporate/edu/other sponsorship. If anyone on this list
    has contacts with organizations that might be interested in helping
    such a community to grow..... drop us a note... Currently
    ObjectStyle.org exists due to contributions from myself and my
    consulting company. We can afford hosting, sysadmin services, but not
    the legal fees and such.

    Andrus