Re:..uthor tags in community projects

From: Andriy Shapochka (ashapochk..otmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 12 2004 - 10:40:34 EST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Andrus Adamchik" <andru..bjectstyle.org>
    To: "Cayenne Devel" <cayenne-deve..bjectstyle.org>
    Sent: Monday, January 12, 2004 8:58 AM
    Subject: Re:..uthor tags in community projects

    > On Jan 8, 2004, at 3:16 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
    > > Interesting thread on..uthor tags in community projects.
    > >
    > > http://tinyurl.com/yrlhu
    > >
    > > I included a couple of the more interesting snippets below, but left
    > > out
    > > some of the legal arguments.
    >
    > Yeah, this discussions do pop up every once in a while, kind of like
    > GPL vs. BSD license flamewars - there is no "right" or "wrong". There
    > are three main concerns about..uthor tag in that thread: someone
    > getting more credit than he deserves; a false perception of ownership
    > of a piece of code; unneeded exposure of developers to the potential
    > legal liability.

    To my taste, the..uthor tags are helpful to the team while the active
    development of a relevant code is going on, at the temporal scale of months,
    so you know who to get in touch with about the code in a particular java
    file while the blood scent is still hot on the snow. In the long run they
    kind of expire and become not that important. And the rest of it (legal
    stuff, ownership, judicial immunity, etc.) is pretty much handled by the
    license in force, isn't it? Then too, if you say in the license anyone can
    modify the code it is perfectly OK to expect someone will edit the..uthor
    part. I believe, "free is free as in freedom". And besides, universal
    anonymity has done too much bads and wrongs to many societies at different
    times to be a decent candidate for an enforced policy in any community built
    around the concept of free collaboration.

    Andriy.