Evaluating Cayenne for Java Client application

From: Marek Wawrzyczny (mare..sh.com.au)
Date: Mon Nov 29 2004 - 22:11:54 EST

    Hi all,

    We have just started evaluating Cayenne for a multi-user Java Client
    application.

    We have hit the first wall, pessimistic locking. For some reason I have
    been under the impression that Cayenne supports pessimistic locking but
    somehow I cannot find any reference to it in the examples, FAQs or
    JavaDocs, perhaps I am looking in the wrong place. Can someone point me
    in the right direction?

    The second question I have is about distribution of persistence across
    a server client solution. Server talks to the data source and holds all
    of business logic for the enterprise objects, clients communicate
    exclusively with the server across the network and have only some of
    the business logic for enterprise objects, mostly display and
    validation logic. All pretty much al a Apple's EOF. We would like to
    implement pessimistic locking on the server end.

    Is this possible at present with Cayenne? If not, will this be possible
    in the future? Finally, perhaps someone has already implemented this
    functionality and would be prepared to share their work?

    Your time is much appreciated.

    Cheers,

    Marek Wawrzyczny

    software engineer
    ish group pty ltd
    http://www.ish.com.au
    7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
    phone +61 2 9660 1400 fax +61 2 9660 7400