Re: XML Encoder/Decoder Beta

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 14:47:34 EST

    Hi Kevin,

    Thanks for this contribution. It will be a very valuable addition to
    Cayenne. But...

    > The API for these is virtually identical to the WebObjects analogue.
    >
    > By the way, even though the API is open, is it a copyright violation
    > for me
    > to copy the way I have (with all the doc comments)? I suppose I
    > should have
    > asked before sinking all that time into it, so hopefully I'm in the
    > clear.

    As we are talking about including your code in Cayenne, this is a
    pretty serious matter.

    Here is the story of Cayenne itself. As I already had pretty deep
    knowledge of EOF when creating Cayenne, I took it as a matter of policy
    to *never* look at WebObjects/EOF documentation, API, anything when
    doing Cayenne design, writing code and documentation. This way I used
    my own ideas of how things should work in ORM. Of course my thinking
    was influenced by my prior knowledge, nevertheless if is a 100%
    original work with no copyright infringement.

    Of course your *implementation* is original work too, as you don't have
    access to Apple's source code. But a number of things have to be
    straightened for this to be accepted to Cayenne.

    1. You can't just copy the docs. This IS copyright infringement. You
    have to close the browser with WO API, forget about what you read there
    ;-) and write the documentation yourself. You wrote the code, so you
    should be able to explain to users how to use it, right ? ;-)

    2. Class/method naming is a lesser problem, still the fact that it was
    openly copied from Apple API doesn't make me very comfortable. While we
    can definitely use the "guts" of the methods that you wrote, API has to
    be redesigned. You already have a general idea of how XML
    encoding/decoding should work. It shouldn't be too hard to sketch an
    API that would do that. How about we come up with something based on
    our existing XMLEncoder/XMLSerializable, and extend those?

    I too wish that we started this discussion before you wrote the code.
    But we have to do it sooner or later.. We can't simply ignore these
    issues. That's how Open Source works and that's how for instance Linux
    can stand against SCO claims virtually unharmed.

    Andrus