Re: XML Encoder/Decoder Beta

From: Kevin J. Menard, Jr. (nirvdru..egativetwenty.net)
Date: Sun Dec 05 2004 - 15:48:35 EST

    Hi,

    I thought this was a gray area, but I wanted to provide an easy migration
    path at the same time. Certainly I can create the docs myself (although
    they may not have as many examples cause I'm up against the clock ;-)) and
    change the API.

    I'll look at your XMLEncoder/XMLSerializable more in-depth. My reason for
    not touching it was I didn't want to inadvertently break something else in
    Cayenne.

    This does bring a few questions to mind then . . .

    1) Can we still use the mapping file format, or what you prefer something
    else?

    2) How worthwhile is this whole XMLCoding interface business? I.e., the
    ability to control encoding without a mapping file? NB, with what I
    provided, arbitrary objects can still be encoded/decoded, thanks to the
    java.beans.XMLEncoder and java.beans.XMLDecoder classes . . . This is just
    more useful for archiving data, rather than as an XML view or data
    interchange.

    3) If I'm gonna change the API anyway, does anyone care if I add more things
    to it? E.g., it's not clear to me using the existing API how to encode a
    List of query results without it being a hassle. I think some mechanism to
    do this automatically would be nice (obviously, being able to decode as
    well).

    I guess that's it for now. I'll try to get these issues taken care of
    shortly.

    Thanks for the feedback,
    Kevin