Re: XML Encoder/Decoder Beta

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Dec 06 2004 - 15:53:39 EST

    > 1) Can we still use the mapping file format, or what you prefer
    > something else?

    I guess we should actually preserve the model. This is what gives us
    interoperability which is a good thing and I think is actually protected
    under certain laws (DMCA?).

    > 2) How worthwhile is this whole XMLCoding interface business? I.e., the
    > ability to control encoding without a mapping file? NB, with what I
    > provided, arbitrary objects can still be encoded/decoded, thanks to the
    > java.beans.XMLEncoder and java.beans.XMLDecoder classes . . . This is
    > just more useful for archiving data, rather than as an XML view or data
    > interchange.

    I can't comment on that - I never used it myself. I guess it is up to you.

    > 3) If I'm gonna change the API anyway, does anyone care if I add more
    > things to it? E.g., it's not clear to me using the existing API how to
    > encode a List of query results without it being a hassle. I think some
    > mechanism to do this automatically would be nice (obviously, being able
    > to decode as well).

    Sure, go for it. This sounds pretty useful to me.

    Andrus