Re: JDOM [Was: XML Encoder/Decoder Beta]

From: Kevin J. Menard, Jr. (nirvdru..egativetwenty.net)
Date: Fri Dec 10 2004 - 14:50:40 EST

    Hi Andrus,

    On Dec 10, 2004, at 2:04 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > I agree, switching XMLEncoder to JDOM is a good thing (going from
    > "object
    > -> XML stream" behavior to "object -> JDOM tree -> XML stream". So I'd
    > say
    > just keep the old API (we can deprecate it later, once cayenne.map
    > package
    > is switched to JDOM for encoding), and add a "root" and "current" JDOM
    > Element properties (and corresponding getter/setter methods), and maybe
    > also "printTo(PrintWriter)".

    This all sounds good (including the stuff I snipped out), although I
    might change names of a few things.

    > XMLSerializable:
    >
    > XMLSerializable should not include JDOM classes in the method
    > signature,
    > but the implementation can retrieve Elements from the XMLEncoder
    > internally.

    XMLSerializable will be staying as it is. I see no need to change it,
    since everything will be done in XMLEncoder.

    > DataObject and XMLSerializable:
    >
    > I agree with your suggestion. So how about CayenneDataObject class will
    > implement XMLSerializable, but DataObject interface will not.
    >
    > Does it make sense?

    This sounds good. Then if people don't want to support it they don't
    need to. Likewise, people using CayenneDataObject will gain the
    functionality for free. I like it :-)

    --
    Kevin