Re: Does it make sense to move 1.2 branch to Apache?

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Fri Apr 07 2006 - 10:40:11 EDT

    On 4/7/06, Cris Daniluk <cris.danilu..mail.com> wrote:
    > I think I suggested this before, and it may be a bit more effort than we are
    > willing to undertake at this point, but I think it may be beneficial to
    > release a 1.2 "Apache" release at some point in time.
    >
    > My reasoning is that while we should keep the "org.objectstyle" packages in
    > tact in 1.2, users may have an easier migration path if they can move to
    > Apache packages in one release, then to new potentially incompatible
    > functionality in the next. Acegi drove me crazy when they did their package
    > rename along with class renames. It took me a ridiculous amount of time to
    > migrate a small application. Then again, with Spring, what is ever
    > easy......................... :)
    >
    > Whether or not we do that, I do think SF for 1.2 and Apache/SVN for 2.0 is
    > the right approach. For purposes of migration and preserving VCS history, we
    > are still going to want to import the org.objectstyle packages and then
    > migrate them from inside SVN, but we can branch and deadend the
    > org.objectstyle code line after the rename is complete.. thus, it will feel
    > like a "donation".

    I'm with Cris on this. +1 for migrating all history into apache SVN.
      +1 for a "repackaging" release of cayenne with a minimal amount of
    code changes. I think doing this right after the 1.2 release makes a
    great deal of sense. I'd recommend calling it 2.0 rather than "apache
    1.2" though since it's no longer backwards compatible.