Re: What next?

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 13:56:22 EDT

    We have one proposal (cayenne-ropwsdl) where this totally makes sense
    - the module being developed will be a part of Cayenne core and we
    can't give the student access to the main repo.

    The other two are standalone applications that use Cayenne as a
    library. So the patch would simply include all files and won't have
    any diffs of the existing files. That'll work too of course, still I
    would also want a student to use some kind of code repository
    (SourceForge, Apache sandbox, ObjectStyle) to keep the intermediate
    work, instead of synching patches to the repo every day or him/her
    doing the work locally for extended periods of time.

    So how about a combination approach:

    1. Setup an outside repo where a student can commit, and everybody
    else can browse the code
    2. A student would submit the 'milestone' patches via Jira (generated
    from the external repo)
    3. A mentor would review them and commit to the Apache repo

    This way we are not taking any shortcuts and reduce the burden on
    mentors and students.

    Andrus