Re: What next?

From: Garrett Rooney (roone..lectricjellyfish.net)
Date: Wed May 24 2006 - 14:00:15 EDT

    > We have one proposal (cayenne-ropwsdl) where this totally makes sense
    > - the module being developed will be a part of Cayenne core and we
    > can't give the student access to the main repo.
    >
    > The other two are standalone applications that use Cayenne as a
    > library. So the patch would simply include all files and won't have
    > any diffs of the existing files. That'll work too of course, still I
    > would also want a student to use some kind of code repository
    > (SourceForge, Apache sandbox, ObjectStyle) to keep the intermediate
    > work, instead of synching patches to the repo every day or him/her
    > doing the work locally for extended periods of time.
    >
    > So how about a combination approach:
    >
    > 1. Setup an outside repo where a student can commit, and everybody
    > else can browse the code
    > 2. A student would submit the 'milestone' patches via Jira (generated
    > from the external repo)
    > 3. A mentor would review them and commit to the Apache repo
    >
    > This way we are not taking any shortcuts and reduce the burden on
    > mentors and students.

    Personally, I don't see why the student can't just work via patches.
    If they want to use some sort of version control for managing their
    work before it's committed that's their perogative, but their mentor
    should really be making sure that they're sending in small, digestible
    patches that can be applied to the source tree, rather than producing
    huge milestones outside the tree that are impossible to review when
    they're finally checked in because they're just too damn big.

    -garrett