Re: Soc: cayenne-rop

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Fri May 26 2006 - 11:46:21 EDT

    On Fri, 26 May 2006 11:11:37 -0400, Andrus Adamchik
    <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:

    > Again, I don't know if SVK offers benefits compared to Subversion in
    > synchronizing your work with master Subversion instance (I guess I have
    > to try it myself). Kevin, do you have any practical hints on using SVK
    > in this scenario?

    I've only been using SVK for a few days now, but so far it's been pretty
    nice to me. Basically what you do is create a mirror of the main SVN
    repository (going back as far as you'd like) and then a local workspace
     from that mirror. The mirrored workspace can 'sync' with the primary SVN
    repository no problem. As you commit to the local workspace, you can
    'smerge' changes back to the mirrored workspace. So, it does work
    bi-directionally. Unfortunately, I haven't seen how this works in
    non-trivial cases, but it should work just like SVN would (SVK uses SVN
    for all of its internal versioning).

    I haven't yet tried to create a patch since I have commit privs on my
    server. I'll play around with this a bit more though over the weekend and
    post my findings on Confluence.

    My personal preference would still be if they had their own branch. SVK
    is nice, but the 3rd party tool support is lacking. That means no
    TortoiseSVN or SVN plugins for Eclipse/IDEA/NetBeans, which is a major
    disadvantage IMHO. But then again, I can see the need to follow the
    typical ASF path to karma.

    --
    Kevin