Re: Cayenne Eclipse Plugin

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun May 28 2006 - 15:12:16 EDT

    On May 28, 2006, at 2:47 PM, Øyvind Harboe wrote:

    > Here are some thoughts on a Cayenne Eclipse plugin:
    >

    > - Try teaching Cayenne to a couple of developers who have never
    > looked at Cayenne and try to determine where they are struggling.
    >
    > - Try "videotaping" more experienced Cayenne developers and see
    > where time disappears or where they get frustrated.

    Good ideas, but how is this practically achievable in the open source
    remote development model.

    > - Have a look at the Spindle for Tapestry. Lots of good ideas.
    > http://spindle.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > - QuickFix support for Cayenne in the Java editor. E.g. if I have an
    > error due to a non-existing method on a Cayenne object "setFoo()",
    > then a new Cayenne Eclipse plugin contributed QuickFix could be to
    > add that property to the Cayenne .xml files and regenerate the
    > Cayenne superclasses. The QuickFix would oftentimes be able to
    > determine the type of the new property based upon the Eclipse
    > facilities to determine that from the context the new
    > property is used.

    The fact that Spindle works good for Tapestry, doesn't mean that it
    will work for Cayenne - don't forget that in Cayenne changing object
    model also results in updating a database mapping. But we can
    probably apply some defaults. Certainly worth researching of course.

    Andrus