Standalone Cayenne Modeler application

From: Øyvind Harboe (oyvind.harbo..ylin.com)
Date: Wed May 31 2006 - 02:49:30 EDT

    One of the appreciated features of Cayenne Modeler is evidently that it
    does not require a particular IDE.

    It is possible to use Eclipse platform to create a standalone
    application that does not require Eclipse.

    Such an application generated by Eclipse, but which does not require
    Eclipse, is called an Eclipse RCP application.
    http://www.eclipse.org/rcp

    I think it might be a good idea to develop the Cayenne Modeler as an RCP
    application:

    Some pros:

    - Eclipse RCP applications use SWT instead of Swing. SWT gives a better
      user experience than Swing. IMO this is objectively true(oxymoron :-)

    - The same code that goes into the Eclipse plugin can go into
      the standalone Cayenne Modeler.

    - The Cayenne modeler can draw on other Eclipse infrastructure as
      relevant(e.g. throw in something from
      http://www.eclipse.org/datatools , XML editors, etc.)

    Cons:

    - Eclipse RCP applications require SWT. Swing is part of all JRE's.

    - There may exist platforms that have a JRE which support Swing, but
      that does not have SWT support that the Cayenne crowd cares about.
      I don't know of any such platforms.

    - Cayenne would have to distribute the necessary SWT pieces for, say,
      Mac, Linux & Windows and leave the compilation of the Cayenne Modeler
      for other platforms as an exercise for the user.

    --
    Øyvind Harboe
    http://www.zylin.com