Re: Re: Encrypted JDBC Connection Settings

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Thu Aug 10 2006 - 11:17:48 EDT

    On 8/10/06, Michael Gentry <blacknex..mail.com> wrote:
    > JNDI is next on my list to look at. I read about it somewhere around
    > 6 months ago, but that was in a Tomcat context and I didn't see
    > anything regarding encryption. Do you have any links/pointers for
    > encrypted JNDI? I hadn't thought about the export issues (I'm very
    > focused on my initial needs), but we could have a simple version for
    > export if we included it (ROT13 anyone?).

    JNDI is basically a way to look up a value from a service provider.
    Think of it as a remote hashmap.

    So you'd say something like "get the value of 'password' and it'd send
    you the password. How the password is stored in JNDI is
    implementation-dependent.

    In your case, you'd really want to ask for a datasource. It's up to
    the application server (generally the JNDI provider) to determine how
    to store the connection info for that database connection. Oracle
    App Server, for example, provides the option of storing the password
    either encrypted or in plain-text.

    How each JNDI server works is implementation dependent. So I can't
    really point you to generic encrypted JNDI docs. If you know what
    app server you're using, then you'd simply look up and see what it
    supports.